Changing the Game for Packaging
CO2RE™ is a patented plastic foaming technology that is available to license from Styron globally. This technology provides an opportunity for the dairy packaging and food service industries to improve their sustainability in the following ways:
- Reduced Material Consumption in Packaging
The technology allows converters to produce polystyrene sheet with a foamed core layer using physical blowing agents. Styron internal tests using CO2RE™ foaming technology illustrate significant total density reductions of up to 20 percent with the potential to reduce density even further.
- Improved Economic Performance Across the Value Chain
By reducing the density of the polystyrene used in packaging, CO2RE™ foaming technology also delivers reductions in energy usage during packaging production. Additionally, in the parts of the world where weight-based packaging disposal taxes have been implemented, brand owners are able to reduce the amount of waste disposal taxes incurred by their packaging.
- Improved Carbon Footprint
As a direct result of raw material and energy savings, CO2RE™ foaming technology enables a significant reduction in the carbon footprint of rigid polystyrene packaging applications, with potential reductions of between 10 and 20 percent.
Section Quick Links
- Sustainability in Action
- Changing the Game for Packaging
- The Continuing Evolution of Polystyrene
- Styron Responds to Marketplace by Replacing Flame Retardant
- Driving Sustainability Forward with Plastics for Automotive
- Improving Fuel Efficiency Where the Rubber Meets the Road
- Lighting the Way to Improved Energy Efficiency
- Smarter Way to Reduce Energy Consumption
- The Power of Garbage-Alternative Energy and Reduced Emissions Through LOMAX Technology
- Styron Reduces Energy Use at Indonesia Polystyrene Plant by 41 percent
- Styron Reduces Water Effluent by 90 percent at Allyn's Point Latex Plant
- Materials to Make Homes More Energy Efficient
- Styron Germany Sites Adopt Energy Management, Achieve ISO-50001