At Styron, we conduct our business of providing innovative solutions and superior materials with integrity and care for our colleagues, communities, customers and the environment. Health, safety and protection of the environment are Core Values which are a part of everything we do.
We are committed to the continuous and measurable improvement of our environmental, health and safety performance. We are committed to minimizing any potentially harmful impacts of our products throughout all stages of their life cycles by promoting the responsible use of our materials throughout the value chain.
Our goals include eliminating workplace injuries and illnesses, preventing adverse environmental impacts, reducing and preventing waste and emissions and promoting resource conservation at every stage of the life cycle of our products.
We are fully committed to compliance with Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) laws and regulations and with internal EH&S policies and standards that support our Core Values.
In further support of our commitment, we have implemented the following Responsible Care® principles:
- To lead our companies in ethical ways that increasingly benefit society, the economy and the environment.
- To design and develop products that can be manufactured, transported, used and disposed of or recycled safely.
- To work with customers, carriers, suppliers, distributors and contractors to foster the safe and secure use, transport and disposal of chemicals, and provide hazard and risk information that can be accessed and applied in their operations and products.
- To design and operate our facilities in a safe, secure and environmentally sound manner.
- To instill a culture throughout all levels of our organization to continually identify, reduce and manage process safety risks.
- To promote pollution prevention, minimization of waste and conservation of energy and other critical resources at every stage of the life cycle of our products.
- To cooperate with governments at all levels and organizations in the development of effective and efficient safety, health, environmental and security laws, regulations and standards.
- To support education and research on the health, safety, environmental effects and security of our products and processes.
- To communicate product, service and process risks to our stakeholders and listen to and consider their perspectives.
- To make continual progress towards our goal of no accidents, injuries or harm to human health and the environment from our products and operations and openly report our health, safety, environmental and security performance.
- To seek continual improvement in our integrated Responsible Care® Management System to address environmental, health, safety and security performance.
- To promote Responsible Care® by encouraging and assisting others to adhere to these Guiding Principles.
Styron will devote adequate resources, training, standards and procedures to satisfy this policy. Every employee and contractor is responsible for compliance with these principles and this policy. We will audit and continually improve our performance, and the Executive Leadership Team and the EH&S Committee of the Board of Directors will monitor our commitments and progress.
*Adopted by Styron January 2011
® Responsible Care is a registered service mark of the American Chemistry Council